- Name: Aurelian Claudiu VOLF
- Address: Faculty of Mathematics, "A.I Cuza" University, Bd. Carol I nr. 11, 700506 Iasi, Romania
- Telephone/Fax: +40 232 315988 fax +40 232 201160
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Nationality: Romanian
- Date of birth: 2 september 1964
- Current position (since 2002) : Associate Professor, Faculty of Mathematics "A.I Cuza" University, Iasi
- 1996-2002: Lecturer, Faculty of Mathematics "A.I Cuza" University, Iasi
- 1990-1996: Assistant Professor, Faculty of Mathematics "A.I Cuza" University, Iasi
- 1987-1990: Teacher, General School nr. 6, Pascani, Iasi County, Romania
Education and training
- 1991-1995 Ph. D thesis in Pure Mathematics, Universite Paris Sud (XI) Orsay
- 1990-1991 Master in Pure Mathematics (DEA), Universite Paris Sud (XI) Orsay
- 1983-1987 B. Sc., Faculty of Mathematics, "A.I Cuza" University, Iasi, Romania.
- Awarded Ph. D. in Pure Mathematics with the thesis:
"Sur le comportement, par torsion, des constantes locales d'equations fonctionnelles de fonctions L" (On the behaviour, under torsion, of the local constants of functional equations of L-functions)
- My teaching experience includes university level courses of: General Abstract Algebra, Rings and Modules,
Galois Theory, Class Field Theory, Logics and Set Theory, Group Theory, Algorithmic Algebra.
- Rings and modules: I have obtained a characterisation of d-rings involving the Jacobson radical.
- Near-rings: results on planar near-rings.
- Algebraic number theory: local fields, zeta and L functions. I have obtained in my Ph.D Thesis a reduction to the case of finite p-groups and I have proven in non-trivial cases a conjecture of Deligne and Henniart on the root numbers associated to virtual representations of Galois groups of extensions of local fields.
- Field extensions: I have proved that any extension having reduced intermediate fields is algebraic and I have determined all types of Galois groups of the finite Galois extensions of this type.
- Fuzzy algebraic structures, hyperstructures. I have given a construction for fuzzy rings of quotients and I made a connection between hypergroups and L-fuzzy sets, for a lattice L; results on fuzzy groups and fuzzy intermediate extensions.
- Member of the group "Algebraic, geometric and topologic structures and applications", recognized as a Research Center by the Romanian National Committee of Academic Evaluation and Accreditation (CNEAA)
- research project "Remarkable classes of generalized algebraic structures", supported by CNCSIS (National Council of Scientific Research in University Education) (theme nr. 22, CNCSIS code 971, contract nr. 3252/03.08.2001, project director prof. dr. I. Tofan).
- member of the Romanian Society of Mathematical Sciences, American Mathematical Society, Romanian Society of Fuzzy Systems.
- more than 20 reviews at Mathematical Reviews.
- Referee and reviewer at Analele Stiintifice ale Universitatii "Al.I. Cuza", Iasi, seria Matematica. (Scientific Annals of the "A.I Cuza" University, Iasi, series Mathematics).
Personal skills and competences
- Mother tongue: Romanian
- Other languages: English (excellent), French (excellent), German (good), Italian (basic), Russian (basic),
Organisational skills and competences
- Chancellor of the Faculty of Mathematics, "A.I Cuza" University, Iasi (2004 -2008)
Technical skills and competences
- Computer abilities (Word, LaTex, Maple V, Cakewalk)